© 2014 - 2016. Christiana Senibo. All rights reserved
Recently,I posted a picture of me holding a snake (and I held it for more than 2 mins ;-) ). What most people don't realise is that until then snakes were about the only examples with which I could use the noun HATE to describe my feelings for. I have a fear and distate for the creature which culmininates into hate. The creepy crawly nature of it, the way it subtly catches it's prey out, the craftiness and silky eerie movements it makes simply repulsed me. My relationship with snakes goes even beyond the physical, I had an encounter in my dream where a snake was trying to bite me (that probably accounts for the added intensity); however, on walking into the aquatics center, I noticed the customer assistant playing with a snake. "Uugghhh"!! I thought, just the sight I needed to behold! But instead of pulling Otonye with me and frenzy-walk to the next aisle, I stopped and thought "instead of running away, what if I actually go over and touch it. What would that experience be like?" And I did!! As you can imagine, I was sacred beyond belief when I first touched it. I screamed and ran off as it tried to wrap it's tail around my wrist. Can you imagine a full grown woman like me screaming in a center full of other shoppers. Not the prettiest sight :-). We had a laugh and I returned to the assistant, this time determined not only to touch it but to hold it. When I held it again, it felt strange but also amazing. It was an intense mix of scary and awe. I felt the strength and muscle in that seemingly soft body and for the first time I saw the beauty of a snake. I may not be a fan of it's hissing tongue but it's an experience I would want to do again. Next time, I would like to have it on my shoulders and arms, and hopefully not pass out.
I came out of my encounter with the snake ditching the word hate, unlocking admiration for the creature, finding strength through the process but most importantly 90% overcoming my fear - am still working on the other 10%, but it's not going to stop me moving forward. Here's a profound lesson I learnt,"once you address your fear it has no power to sidetrack your future". And it's fear in all of it colours, shapes and form. It's the fear he may leave you for another woman, the fear your secret may be exposed and you become the ridicule of others, the fear that failing is overwhelmingly eminent and you don't know how you're going to deal with it. Whatever your fear is, addressing it like I did mine, will give you power, control and confidence. It will put you right in front of the drivers' seat of your life, with you having the final say. More so, addressing your fear will undo the heavy luggage you carry and make your journey light. You will be amazed at how much happier, stronger, healthier and successful you can become.
You've got it in you. You've got what it takes to blindside fear and knock it out for good. You already have everything you need. Don't wait for tomorrow. Get started now.
"You are better and stronger than you give yourself credit for"
- Christiana Senibo
Share this post and help someone live more courageously. xx
Share this conversion on Twitter and Facebook. Together let's share love and light in our world.
Hi and welcome to my conversations. I love you already! Here I'll share information on life, wholehearted living, leadership, making a difference and spirituality. With this conversations, I hope to challenge your perspective, share actions that will help you live a wholehearted life and bring you fun and fulfillment. Plus, right here, I‘ll share with you stories that totally make me crack, like how I chatted with a naked man in Amsterdam or issues that are burning in my heart. Sign up to email to join the latest conversation. Welcome to an exciting ride!